When summer arrives, I’m never usually completely satisfied. I have romantic visions of sunny parks brimming with flowers, barbecues and pimms. FRISBEE. The sickly sweet smell of suncream. Maybe even the chance to venture outside without a coat on.
I forget the reality. Skin prickled with goosebumps, the sun staying stubbornly tucked under a cloud. The feeling of water splashing up your legs as you plunge a sandled foot into a muddy puddle.
Constant never-ending DRIZZLY rain.
THIS MISERY WILL NOT DO.
The grey weather is no excuse to be glum, merely a reason to get snug. I’ll pop on a chunky cardigan, make a coffee, light a candle, stay inside and peep at the grey clouds from behind glass.
A soundtrack to sombre skies:
- First Aid Kit – America
- Hozier – Cherry Wine
- Kings of Leon – Pyro
- Fleet Foxes – Mykonos
- America – A Horse With No Name
- Kygo, Maty Noyes – Stay
- DJ Snake, Bipolar Sunshine – Middle
- TV On The Radio – Happy Idiot
- Rusted Root – Send Me On My Way
- First Aid Kit – Stay Gold
- Half Moon Run – Call Me In The Afternoon
- Tom Odell – Wrong Crowd
- MisterWives – Riptide
- Maroon 5 – Misery (acoustic)
- Father John Misty – Hollywood Forever Cemetry Sings